Today was the day!
Emily’s first cheer competition!
She woke-up at 1am feeling nervous and wanting her phone so she could listen to music!
I truly don’t know if she slept again but at 6:30am when I went in to wake her up, she was awake!
Before her performance, I went out back to see how Emily was doing, one of the other mom told me how Emily gave an interview to our local newspaper. Apparently, when the mom told Emily she did good on the interview, Emily replied; “Well, that wasn’t my first time!” LOL, that’s my girl!
The videographer (Jonathan) was a little shaky but here is our team’s performance! Keep your eyes on Emily at the end of the video, she wipes her eyes, I think the emotions of what they just did in from of a big crowd got to her. 🙂
Emily’s team’s performance on YouTube
And here are some pictures, these smiles tell the story better than I can.
We got there around 8:30am, left for lunch than returned. Awards were at 4:30ish
Emily got an award!
Look at her and B. holding their banner!
Our girls were so happy!
Thank you again to our coaches (Megan, Chloe and Celine) and to Julie who’s always there to fill in and help with the routine.
Thank you Cheer Olympia
Thank you for creating this opportunity for our girls.
- One of our girl has epilepsy. She was nervous this morning and by the time she got to the coliseum, she already had 2 seizures and had another one while waiting to perform. Her mom calls them mild seizures. I don’t know how familiar you are with seizures but in my mind (someone who doesn’t know much about seizures), I can’t fathom going to compete as part of a cheer team after having 3 small seizures. That’s dedication! This girl, is one of my heroes!
- Another one of our girl had 2 years of physio therapy before she could walk.
- This is also true of Emily, doctors and therapists agreed she would never walk. She started to walk independently just before she turned 4.
- One of our girl who is full of spirit, really flirty and sassy, needs one of our coach to hold her during the performance but this doesn’t stop her. She is a huge part of this team.
- Another girl, who’s becoming a real friend to Emily, has attended her younger sister’s cheer competition for years… Now, her sister is there, cheering for her. She loves cheer so much that she joined 2 teams! How’s that for dedication!
- Emily and B cheered super loud for her when she took the floor with her other team. The smile on her face was awesome when she saw her teammates cheer for her.
Our girls are amazing and I am so glad they have found their cheer club!
Next competition is in 2 weeks and it’s away! Our hotel room is booked and we are getting excited for a road trip with our team!
Is this how the hockey mom and other cheer parents feel? It’s like we’ve entered an alternate dimension where our girls are integral parts of a team? Where they contribute, chat, share meals and now go on a road trip?!?!
My eyes are tearing up, just writing this, which makes it hard to type!
The motherhood thing has really turned me into a crying mess.
We have a facebook page: If you want short updates and timely pictures of the little things that are happening in our life, please like and follow Lessons from my daughter’s page.
You can also find me on Twitter at @plebrass
I am on Pinterest too: Lessons from my Daughter
Find more about about Cri du Chat syndrome at 5p- Society